Irish Funds Member Update Autumn 2019
New member welcome
A warm welcome to our most recent new members Coutts, Equity Trustees Fund Services (Ireland) Limited, HANetf, Manulife, and Northern Trust Fund Managers Ireland. We now represent more than 145 member companies from across the funds industry and appreciate your continuing support.
Connecting our members
Irish Funds and the Member Engagement Working Group have several initiatives underway to increase engagement and connect our members.
- Irish Funds Lunch and Learns – These are held by member firms to inform and engage their own staff about the association and the resources available. There is a Powerpoint available and several firms have taken part already with more holding Lunch and Learns in November and into the new year.
- Communications Champions (CCs) – There are now more than 50 Irish Funds member CCs as this initiative continues to grow. The purpose of the CC is to help communicate, promote and increase engagement throughout your organisation, encouraging awareness of Irish Funds resources, events and updates. For more information or if you are interested in becoming a Communications Champion for your firm, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership Engagement Lunches - We continue to see strong interest in these networking and information sharing events with 83 firms confirmed to participate over the next 6 months (November to April). These lunches are an opportunity to discuss matters important to you and to get additional detail on our current priorities. For more information or to attend a lunch, please contact email@example.com
- Member Portal Resources - The member portal continues to be a success with over 2,000 users from 134 member firms registered, accessing more than 1,900 document resources. If you or your colleagues do not currently have access to this important information resource, you can register at https://memberportal.irishfunds.ie/.
Sponsorship opportunities for 2020
We have released our 2020 events sponsorship opportunities. Irish Funds sponsorship is an opportunity to maximise your brand’s visibility to a global audience. Our experience from recent years is that the available sponsorship slots go quickly – we deal with them on a first-come, first-served basis. We currently have two premium sponsor spots available and a variety of other sponsorship opportunities to suit your needs. If you have any questions, please contact David Shirley at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +353 1 6753205 for more information.
We are in Asia in the beginning of the new year and in the US and London in the spring (Philadelphia, Greenwich and New York) in our ongoing efforts to support managers and promote Irish funds across the globe. For more information or to register for any of our upcoming events, visit www.irishfunds.ie/events
Focus on sustainable finance
Sustainable investment is an integral part of our preparation for the future. A combination of the right mind-set, toolkit and skill sets will help Ireland build on its success and we are committed to play our part. Recent developments include:
- ESG Working Group - We established our ESG Working Group to develop industry’s sustainability agenda, consider the EU’s Sustainable Finance Package as well as the innovation, talent and skills needed in our industry regarding sustainability.
- ESG Newsletter – The ESG WG and Communications & Publications WG coordinated an online-only ESG-focused newsletter in the run up to Climate Finance Week 2019. View the ESG Newsletter.
- Climate Finance Week Event - As part of the Climate Finance Week 2019 programme of events, Irish Funds held a briefing session on ‘Sustainability and the Funds Industry - the Challenge and Opportunity Ahead’.
- Statement of intent – As part of the recent Climate Finance Week events and the industry’s ongoing commitment to sustainability, Irish Funds CEO Pat Lardner joined other industry leaders in a pledge to take action to mitigate climate change risk through sustainable finance. Read more.
- The Grant Thornton Irish Funds Sustainathon - The Sustainathon will involve entrants from across the Irish funds industry working together to identify and propose solutions that drive sustainability. This competition will ask teams to identify and assess achievable and impactful measures that industry can implement to help realise these goals. Keep a look out for further information over the coming weeks with an official launch and call for participants in January.
Funds Industry CSR News
Our member firms participate in a wide range of CSR activities and are involved in the community on many levels. A few recent highlights are:
Shine a Light Night Focus Ireland
On Friday, 18 October Yvonne Connolly and Lisa Kealy as Chair and Vice Chair of Irish Funds participated in a one night to sleep-out on the grounds of the Law Society of Ireland for the Focus Ireland's Shine a Light Night. They raised €36,000 from the funds community to support Focus Ireland in the fight against homelessness.
Focus Ireland is Ireland's leading not for profit working to prevent people becoming, remaining or returning to homelessness. There are over 10,000 people homeless in Ireland and of that number 1 in 3 is a child. Focus Ireland believe that homelessness can be ended and work to break the cycle of homelessness by giving people access to information, housing, childcare and a range of education services throughout Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny, Limerick, Sligo, Waterford, Clare and Wexford.
NEIC Work Placements in the funds industry
During the summer period of 2019, 20 young people from the NEIC secondary schools participated in a summer work placement in 11 funds industry organisations, including Irish Funds. Six Dublin inner city post-primary schools participated in the programme and all schools have had students placed on the programme. Please find details of this year’s programme which was coordinated by Business in the Community (BiTC).
The feedback from the NEIC has been that the 2019 programme has been a resounding success for both the companies and the students and also for the NEIC. This is significant given this is the first programme since it was last operational in 2008.
About the programme
- Programme existed 2001 – 2008 following a request from the DFIA for school leavers
- 177 students from 16 city centre schools secured paid summer placements
- 50% of the students were retained at the end of their contract
We hope to build on this success and expressions of interest will be circulated again in January 2020 for next year’s Programme.
Continued support for funds industry charity basis.point
basis.point was founded in 2013 as the charity initiative of the Irish funds industry. It has grown from strength-to-strength and plays a key role in the CSR programmes of a large number of leading firms within the sector. Focusing on children and young people from disadvantaged communities, they work closely with six leading charities to empower children through education.
For detailed information, please read the full newsletter article earlier in this edition.
Q4 Technical Briefings
We run a number of member-only technical briefings and seminars throughout the year. Q4 2019 briefings are:
- AML - Beneficial Ownership Register - Date: Tuesday, 19 November, Time: 8:00AM - 10:30AM, Location: Chartered Accountants, 47/49 Pearse St, Dublin 2. This is a member-only event: Register for this seminar here.
- Financial Reporting and Tax Seminar - Date: Monday, 25 November, Time: 8:15AM - 10:15AM, Location: Chartered Accountants, 47/49 Pearse St, Dublin 2. This is a member-only event:Register for this seminar here.
Annual conference 2020 – registration will open in January
The Irish Funds Annual Global Funds Conference will be held on Thursday, 21 May 2020 at the Convention Centre Dublin. With competitions, presentations, panels and great networking opportunities, next year’s conference is shaping up to be a highly anticipated and engaging event.
Early bird registration will open in January. For now, watch our video to see what it’s all about and keep an eye out for our registration announcement in January.
In the meantime, check out our video: