Irish Funds Update – Membership and Recent Engagement Activities
Irish Funds membership has steadily increased during 2017 and has now reached 124 member companies. The number of full member asset managers has increased by almost 30% this year with asset manager members now totalling 50, making this the largest Irish Funds member group.
New Members in 2017
A warm welcome to our new members and upgraded members that have come on board in 2017, which include:
- Goodbody Fund Management
- JPM Asset Management
- Willis Towers Watson
- Charles Shwab
- Legal & General Investment Management
- Wisdom Tree
- Findlay Park
- Dodge & Cox
- Centaur Fund Services
- Alter Domus
- Virtus Partners
- Sanne Group
Member Services and Engagement
The range of services and support we provide members is something we are always working on and we provide a range of member only events and updates throughout the year as well as member only publications and industry guidance. We launched our new member portal at the end of May. The new portal is a comprehensive library of key industry papers, guidance notes and consultations which have been prepared over time by our Steering and Working Groups in conjunction with the secretariat. The portal is easy to access and navigate, with enhanced layout and design features coupled with an intuitive and flexible search facility. Feedback so far has been very positive and we now have almost 1,000 contacts from member companies signed up to access the 1,200+ documents on the portal.
Earlier in the year we also launched the enhanced Global Distribution area on the Irish Funds website. This area features an interactive map, data for the top 25 countries where Irish domiciled funds are registered for sale, information on EU passporting, taxation and regulation, distribution related publications, video clips and events information.
Advocacy and Industry Promotional Activities
Irish Funds is involved in extensive advocacy engagement on the international and domestic levels, activities to promote the Irish funds industry, and member services. During the past 6 months there have been nearly 120 meetings and calls on the domestic advocacy front and 60 meetings and calls with international organisations.
Regulation and Policy Developments 2016/2017
- 211 meetings with local, European and global stakeholders
- 66 separate written submissions
Training and Education
- Partnership with the Institute of Banking has enabled more than 550 students to undertake a UCD accredited professional education programme in 2016/17
- More than 60 Irish Funds member firms had participating students Technical Seminars and Webinars attended by over 600 people with national reach enabled via live streaming
Manager Engagement and Promotion
- International events held in 18 Cities with 5,000 attendees
- Over 65 direct meetings with current or prospective investment managers regarding the jurisdiction
- Increased engagement via social media with over 2,500 followers on Linkedin and over 1,500 followers on Twitter
- Website with 25,000 - 30,000 views per month
- Board member of the: European Fund and Asset Management Association; International Investment Funds Association
- Meetings with Foreign Regulators and Diplomatic Staff
- Engagement with Industry Bodies from around the World
Competitiveness and Positioning
- Direct involvement in the IFSC Funds Group
- Close working relationship with IDA Ireland domestically and network of international offices
Events and Publications
Our promotional activities during the second half of the year have been strong with more than 15 events in Asia, the US, UK, Switzerland, Germany and Ireland.
Our London flagship event, on 10th November has over 500 registered. For details of our forward events calendar please view our upcoming events page and our promotional work continues with the strong support of our event partners and sponsors. Our Sponsorship Brochure for 2018 is now available.
We regularly publish guides, materials and informational notes. In coordination with AMAC, Irish Funds launched ‘Ireland: A Guide for Chinese Asset Managers’ at the Annual Conference this year. This is now in circulation with a number of contacts from industry and government and is available in Chinese and in English. We have also recently published four new country guides available to members – Italy, Norway, Spain and Sweden. These and all our country distribution guides can be accessed by Irish Funds members through the Distribution section on our website or on the member portal.
Kieran Fox, Director of Business Development, Irish Funds